Family Engagement At-Home Activity
DIY WITH DAD:
This month we have a special activity for Head Start children to complete with their father figure. Research shows that a father who actively participates in the education and development of a child is invaluable and irreplaceable! This activity is meant to be completed with a father figure but anyone can work with your child. All father figures are welcome, including stepfathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers and foster fathers! By assembling this wooden building kit, children can develop their hand – eye coordination, stimulate imagination and promote their physical and intellectual development.
Along with this letter you will receive the items necessary to build a wooden craft (not all children will receive the same item and a hammer may be required for some). Complete the activities listed below and return the bottom of this form.
Woodshop Supply List
Head Start will provide:
- Wooden craft kit
Items you may need:
- Hammer (only necessary for some of the crafts)
- Glue (hot glue works best but any kind will do)
- Paint, markers, crayons, stickers etc.
- Follow the directions included in the package
- Have your child decorate their wooden craft with markers, stickers, paint or crayons. Be creative! Take a picture of your child with their decorated craft and post it on our Facebook page Lake Geauga United Head Start or share it on Twitter @lgheadstart.
- Before you start the project, ask your child how big they think the craft will be and what it is used for. Once the craft is assembled help your child measure it to see if their predictions were correct.
Child’s Name: _____________________________________________
Teacher: ___________________________________ Center: ____________________________________________________
Volunteer Printed Name: _______________________________________________________________________________
Volunteer Signature: ___________________________________________________________________________________
Please circle the total time spent completing this activity:
1 hour 1.5 hours 2 hours 2.5 hours 3 hours