LAKE-GEAUGA UNITED HEAD START, INC.
††††††††††††† POSITION:† Teacher Assistant
CLASSIFICATION:†††††††††††† Regular Full-Time Program Year Employee, Bargaining Unit
†††††††† SUPERVISOR:†††††††††† Site Administrator
Assists the teacher in all classroom functions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assists with implementation of developmentally appropriate lessons based on the approved curriculum, addressing the cognitive, social, emotional, nutritional and physical development of the children.
2. Assists with selecting materials and equipment in conjunction with the Education Coordinator.
3. Assists with arranging the classroom to provide a safe environment conducive to learning.
4. Assists maintaining all classroom equipment, supplies and furnishings in safe and clean condition.
5. Assists with planning and distributing at-home activities to all children and families in conjunction with lesson plans.
6. Assists with completion of all required paperwork.
7. Assists with home visits and staff-parent conferences as appropriate.
8. Develops relationship with parents with regards to their childís education, developmental progress and kindergarten readiness.
9. Assists with completion of screenings and developmental assessments as scheduled.
10. Assists in development of individual goal plans for each child taking into account special needs or unique circumstances.
11. Participates in family style meals and encourages children to try new or different foods.
12. Assists with filing education information in the individual child files.
13. Assists with maintaining record keeping system with adequate provisions for confidentiality.
14. Submits accurate and complete time sheets to supervisor bi-weekly or as requested.
15. Promotes Lake-Geauga United Head Start, Inc. in the community and recruits children for the program as appropriate.
16. Encourages in-kind donations through communication with the parents or community.
17. Attends training and meetings as required by program calendar, supervisor, Executive Director, or professional development plan or as required by state or federal law.
18. Other duties as assigned.
19. Mandatory participation in annual self-assessment if selected.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
1. The employee must know and adhere to:
∑ Head Start Performance Standards
∑ ODJFS Licensing Rules
∑ LGUHS education policies and procedures
∑ The approved curriculum for daily instruction
2. The employee must be skilled in:
∑ Appropriate teaching techniques for preschool children
∑ Appropriate child management techniques for preschool children
∑ Using correct grammar and spelling to set an example for children and parents
∑ Observing child behavior and making decisions about individual needs
∑ Tailoring teaching techniques to individual needs and situations
∑ Developing positive working relationships with children and families
∑ Time management
∑ Recognizing and reporting child abuse
3. The employee must be able to:
∑ Lift at least 50 pounds regularly and up to 100 pounds occasionally
∑ Sit or stand for long periods of time
∑ Reach above head with both arms
∑ See and hear without significant impairment
∑ Bend without trouble
∑ Walk without trouble
∑ Climb steps easily
∑ Work with others
∑ Use basic equipment such as photocopier, telephone, fax machine
∑ Pass employment physical including TB test every two years
∑ Pass initial and regular drug screens
Tasks may involve unplanned or procedure specific exposure to body fluids and possible exposure to communicable diseases.† Risk involved with periodic travel on main highways and rural roads.
1.†††††††† GRADE I:††† †††††††† High School Diploma or equivalent
GRADE II:††††††††††† High School Diploma or equivalent with CDA
GRADE III:††††††††††† Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education or Baccalaureate Degree in related field
2. Valid Ohio Driverís License with proof of insurance
3. Clean criminal background supported by background check (fingerprints)
Eligible to work
5. Completed first aid, communicable disease and CPR courses, or ability to††† complete courses.
Refer to current Bargaining Agreement and/or subsequent wage re-openers to †††††††† the current agreement.