LAKE-GEAUGA UNITED HEAD START, INC.
† POSITION:††††††††††††† Family Advocate
CLASSIFICATION:†††††††††††† Regular Full-Time Program Year Employee, Bargaining Unit
†††††††† SUPERVISOR:†††††††††† Site Administrator
Provides support to families and children in their attempts to attain self-sufficiency and kindergarten readiness by serving as a liaison between families, staff and the local community.† Recruits and enrolls eligible families.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Acts as primary contact for enrolled families while their children are enrolled in Head Start.
2. Recruits and enrolls children, including completion of all necessary paperwork.
3. Maintains files for all active children containing all program related information.
4. Maintains files for children on waiting lists, transfers, withdrawals and terminations.
5. Ensures continued full enrollment for each classroom on caseload.
6. Tracks required and needed health services for children while enrolled in the program including medical home, up to date immunization, up to date EPSDT schedule and any needed follow-up services.
7. Makes referrals and assists with access to needed health care and follow-up care.
8. Ensures that family assets and needs are identified and that supportive, mutually agreeable goals are established in a family partnership agreement.
9. Ensures that families are aware of community services and resources and know how to access them.
10. Assists parents in accessing community resources as needed.
11. Has regular contact with all families on caseload, either in writing, by phone or in person.
12. Documents all family contacts and files information in child files regularly.
13. Encourages parent participation at the center, assisting with parent committee meetings and encouraging policy council involvement.
14. Assists parents with transportation requests as needed and communications with appropriate staff regarding transportation needs of the family.
15. Serve as an advocate for the LGUHS, Inc. program by serving on committees and participating in community activities.
16. Submits accurate and complete time sheets to supervisor bi-weekly or as requested.
17. Promotes Lake-Geauga United Head Start, Inc. in the community and recruits children for the program as appropriate.
18. Encourages in-kind donations through communication with the parents or community.
19. Attends training and meetings as required by program calendar, supervisor, Executive Director, or professional development plan or as required by state or federal law.
20. Other duties as assigned.
21. Mandatory participation in annual self-assessment if selected.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
1. The employee must know and adhere to:
∑ Head Start Performance Standards
∑ ODJFS Licensing Rules
∑ LGUHS Family and Community Partnership policies and procedures
∑ State of Ohio EPSDT schedule
2. The employee must be skilled in:
∑ Developing positive working relationships with families and community
∑ Handling crisis situations
∑ Assessing family strengths and needs and developing relevant goals
∑ Time management
∑ Recognizing and reporting child abuse
3. The employee must be able to:
∑ Lift at least 30 pounds
∑ Sit for long periods of time
∑ See and hear without significant impairment
∑ Bend without trouble
∑ Walk without trouble
∑ Climb steps easily
∑ Work with others
∑ Use basic equipment such as photocopier, telephone, fax machine
∑ Use computer equipment, including web-based programs
∑ Pass employment physical including TB test every two years
∑ Pass initial and regular drug screens
Tasks may involve unplanned or procedure specific exposure to body fluids and possible exposure to communicable diseases.† Risk involved with periodic travel on main highways and rural roads.
1.†††††††† GRADE A:†††††††††† High School Diploma or equivalent with 5 years experience
††††††††††† GRADE I:†††††††††††† Associate Degree in Social Services
GRADE II:† ††††††††† Baccalaureate Degree in Social Services or related field
GRADE III:† ††††††††† Baccalaureate Degree in Social Services or related field with LSW certification or higher
2. Valid Ohio Driverís License with proof of insurance
3. Clean criminal background supported by background check (fingerprints)
Eligible to work
5. Completed first aid, communicable disease and CPR courses, or ability to††† complete courses.
Refer to current Bargaining Agreement and/or subsequent wage re-openers to the current agreement.