LAKE-GEAUGA UNITED HEAD START, INC.
POSITION:†††††††††††† English as a Second Language (ESL) Liaison (Bilingual- Spanish)
CLASSIFICATION:†††††††††††† Regular Full-Time Program Year Employee, Bargaining Unit
†† ††††SUPERVISOR:†††††††††††† Site Administrator
Works with all agency staff to effectively translate all written materials into Spanish and to develop and implement ways to teach Spanish-speaking children to speak English prior to entering kindergarten.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Participates in the classroom environment daily to facilitate the learning of English as a second language.
2. Works with classroom teachers to develop and implement activities or lessons for children learning English as a second language.
3. Works with children on language development individually if needed.
4. Works with classroom staff, family advocates and other agency staff to ensure that all written materials that are distributed to families are translated into Spanish.
5. Assists in the administration of education screenings or assessments as appropriate for children whose primary language is Spanish.
6. Assists teaching staff with home visits if necessary and with supervisorís approval.
7. Submits accurate and complete time sheets to supervisor bi-weekly or as requested.
8. Promotes Lake-Geauga United Head Start, Inc. in the community and recruits children for the program as appropriate.
9. Encourages in-kind donations through communication with the parents or community.
10. Attends training and meetings as required by program calendar, supervisor, Executive Director, or professional development plan or as required by state or federal law.
11. Other duties as assigned.
12. Mandatory participation in annual self-assessment if selected.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
1. The employee must know and adhere to:
∑ Head Start Performance Standards
∑ ODJFS Licensing Rules
∑ LGUHS education policies and procedures
2. The employee must be skilled in:
∑ Appropriate teaching techniques for preschool children
∑ Appropriate child management techniques for preschool children
∑ Speaking Spanish fluently
∑ Observing child behavior and making decisions about individual needs
∑ Tailoring teaching techniques to individual needs and situations
∑ Developing positive working relationships with children and families
∑ Time management
∑ Recognizing and reporting child abuse
3. The employee must be able to:
∑ Lift at least 50 pounds occasionally
∑ Sit or stand for long periods of time
∑ Reach above head with both arms
∑ See and hear without significant impairment
∑ Bend without trouble
∑ Walk without trouble
∑ Climb steps easily
∑ Work with others
∑ Use basic equipment such as photocopier, telephone, fax machine
∑ Pass employment physical including TB test every two years
∑ Pass initial and regular drug screens
Tasks may involve unplanned or procedure specific exposure to body fluids and possible exposure to communicable diseases.† Risk involved with periodic travel on main highways and rural roads.
1.†††††††† GRADE I:†††††††††††† High School Diploma or equivalent
GRADE II:††††††††††† Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education
GRADE III:††††††††††† Baccalaureate Degree in Early Childhood or Elementary Education with Pre-K certification
2. Valid Ohio Driverís License with proof of insurance
3. Clean criminal background supported by background check (fingerprints)
Eligible to work
5. Completed first aid, communicable disease and CPR courses, or ability to††† complete courses.
Refer to current Bargaining Agreement and/or subsequent wage re-openers to †††††††† the current agreement.